[syslog-ng] syslog-ng + klogd + susefirewall on power5/suse issues

Ian Veach imail at nevada.edu
Tue Jun 26 17:26:34 CEST 2007

We had a weird problem last week when trying to roll in syslog-ng 2.0.2
over syslogd on SLES 9.3 running on IBM pSeries (PPC).  Sorry this is
not directly syslog-ng (or is it?), but I'm hoping that someone on this
list was in a similar situation or can shed some light.

I did what I could tell was the right thing, which was to disable klogd
(and syslogd) before using syslog-ng, and my source looks something like
this:
                file ("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel: "));
                unix-stream ("/dev/log" max-connections(70));

When in place, syslog-ng seems to perform fine - it seemed to pick up
all facilities and levels per initial testing.  However, the machine
then promptly hung.  Or, rather, I found that all susefirewall packet
messages (kernel, SFW2)) started going to console, in addition to file.
I don't have any console destinations per se since these are headless,
so I don't know exactly why messages would go to console when they
should be going through /proc/kmsg (and thus syslog-ng), correct?

Thanks for any pointers!

Ian