[syslog-ng] Simple Doubt

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 17:01:23 CEST 2007

Hi,

Luiz Cruz <luizcruz.msg at gmail.com> [20070605 11:49:21 -0300]:

> Nice, don?t use a fifo file sounds great. I will try.  Log is from a
> jetty aplication. The request is proxyed by apache. But i have to
> parse the lines before sent to rrd (cacti). The log is about 1GB/day.
> Sorry if i didn?t mention before.

It was only because I could not tell if it was your Perl script directly
generating the syslog messages or not.  I was only curious why the pipe was
there...looks like it was a case of "yay it works" :)

> >http://www.balabit.com/dl/html/syslog-ng-admin-guide_en.html/ch08s01.html#id2546424
>
> I didn?t find this... is that a pipe function?

If you are logging to a file and having Perl munch on a log file you can
remove the perl script and pipe from the whole works.  syslog-ng can be
configured to read in directly a log file; it effectively does a 'tail -f' on
the file.

Cheers

Alex