[syslog-ng] program destinations have parent process of init (1)

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Jul 19 22:51:48 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 22:04 -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:
> When syslog-ng has been configured to use a program destination, is seems that
> the program is launched prior to syslog-ng "deamonizing" itself.
>
> Normally the code for deamons is something like

This is true. syslog-ng wants to return a status code to the calling
shell, whether initializing the configuration was successful or not.
Therefore the parent only exits once this information is available.

Hmm.hmm. now as I think of it, I could borrow some code from Zorp, that
uses a pipe to communicate exit status, but otherwise it is the child
that initializes the configuration.

Continuing thinking somewhat, syslog-ng 1.6 had somewhat similar code,
checking it out.... Yes, you are right. syslog-ng 1.6 did the same trick
as Zorp, it communicated the exit status to the parent process via a
pipe, but the complete initialization stuff was performed by the child.

I'll write a ticket about this to myself.