[syslog-ng] Log a directory

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 16 17:57:57 CEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:19:18 +0200,

> This directory change with the apparition of new files every second and i
> must redirect this flow thruth a syslog-ng client to a syslog-ng serveur and
> this server organize data with the rules you describe.

Oh.  This is going to become more complex.  You are going to need a
system-dependent hook of some sort to notice the new files arriving (under
Linux, I'd recommend the inotify facility.  I think Solaris has something
similar), and then connect that to a userspace program that calls syslog() to
send the message.

If all else fails, if your kernel supports some sort of C2/LSPP auditing of
syscalls, you could hijack that facility and use it to feed your program.
However, that's probably going to be much higher overhead.

In any case, it's not *really* a syslog-ng issue - the problem is identifying
the files and generating the message.