[syslog-ng] Log daemon for high volume of logs

Federico Petronio petrus at activesec.biz
Mon Jan 29 21:54:50 CET 2007

In our case "high volume" is 83 pps (4 MB/hour) peaks probably are
higher but I don't have the number. As a test, we block with iptables
the incoming packets from the new host. After doing that, no other log
was miss, that's why we guess the problems is with the syslog buffer or
something related to it.

We also run the command "netstat -su" with the following result:

Udp:
    231803397 packets received
    6022 packets to unknown port received.
    123643084 packet receive errors
    117398380 packets sent

In this Debian Linux the output is different and not as detailed as the
one you showed, but it shows that 50% of the UDP packets has some kind
of problem. Do you know exactly what kind of problems generates "packet
receive errors";

Thank again,