[syslog-ng] Forwarding + Spoofing = Errors & Dropped Packets?

Ivey, Chris Chris.ivey at acs-inc.com
Mon Jan 15 19:52:04 CET 2007

Thanks Bazsi.  I finally got to the bottom of this, quite on accident.  On a
whim (since nothing else was working), I changed the destination for
forwarding from hostnames to IP addresses.  After I stopped and restarted
the syslog-ng service, all worked well.  I noticed in all my ltrace outputs
that syslog-ng was performing a LOT of DNS queries when spoofing was on and
we were using hostnames as the targets.  There is not a local DNS server
with this syslog-ng server, so the queries were taking quite a bit of time
to come back (50-60 ms).  Once I made the change to IP addresses, everything
worked much better.  I have now set my other syslog-ng server to use IP
addresses instead of hostnames for forwarding as well.

Whoever runs the syslog-ng FAQ on campin.net may need to know that if you
have performance issues, switching your targets to IP addresses instead of
hostnames may clear up some issues.

Can you explain to me, though, why the spoofing needs to do so many
nslookups?  Why can it not cache the results of the first query?  Does the
application block waiting for DNS queries to come back?  That may need to be
addressed....  Thanks!

Chris Ivey

Affiliated Computer Services
Enterprise Management Integration Services
Infrastructure Management Senior Analyst

1120 Celebration Blvd.
Celebration, FL 34747
(321) 939-6540 Office
8296-6540 Disney Tie-Line
(407) 557-1072 Cell
162*326905*19 Nextel Direct Connect
chris.ivey at acs-inc.com

"When you find yourself in a hole, the best thing to do is stop digging!" --
Nick Stokes