[syslog-ng] Forwarding + Spoofing = Errors & Dropped Packets?

Ivey, Chris Chris.ivey at acs-inc.com
Thu Jan 11 17:24:42 CET 2007

Bazsi,
	Thanks for your help thus far.  After MUCH trial and error with
enabling and disabling things in syslog-ng.conf, and watching "netstat -an"
output after each attempt, I have narrowed this issue down to something to
do with spoofing.  From my starting syslog-ng.conf file, if I do NOTHING but
turn off spoofing, the Recv-Q buffer stops filling and all is happy.  If I
turn on spoofing, those buffers start filling again.  I used tkdiff to
compare my 2 syslog-ng.conf files side-by-side, and the only differences
between the 2 are the lines where the forward-to hosts are defined and where
the destinations are defined (the bad server has lines commented, the good
one does not).  Lsof on both machines for syslog-ng shows the same libraries
opened and such.  So, the question now is what happens with spoofing that
would cause all these issues?  What does spoofing do in the background that
my server is unhappy about?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Ivey

Affiliated Computer Services
Enterprise Management Integration Services
Infrastructure Management Senior Analyst

1120 Celebration Blvd.
Celebration, FL 34747

chris.ivey at acs-inc.com

"When you find yourself in a hole, the best thing to do is stop digging!" --
Nick Stokes