[syslog-ng] why /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages etc

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Fri Jan 5 15:47:25 CET 2007

The basic idea behind this is quite simple.  It simple simply a
preference shared amongst the developers of the distribution and its
software packages.

I don't think you'll find a document providing you with reason for the
differences, as they are purely cosmetic, however if you read up on the
logging mechanisms for a specific distribution you should be able to
find or deduce information regarding that specific distro's logic in
choosing its log file naming scheme.

In the end as you mentioned, it is up to you how you choose you log file
naming scheme.  Common sense is usually a good place to start, such as
avoiding logging kernel logs to a file called 'maillog.log' or
'access.log'.

Hope this helps,

Justin.