[syslog-ng] Observation of syslog-ng on HP-UX

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Feb 28 10:25:30 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 08:30 +0000, Shamim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the help. It works now.
>
> My Observation are for HP-UX :
> 1. If both syslog and syslog-ng  daemons are running on the system,
> then message sent through logger  are being captured by syslog daemon
> only.
> 2. While in other OS like, AIX, Linux, Solaris message goes to both
> the file defined in  syslog.conf and syslog-ng.conf.
> 3. So  to captured all message on HP-UX to syslog-ng, I need to stop
> HP-UX's syslog daemon?
>

> Please any further comment on my Observation. Am I correct?

I don't think so. AIX, Linux should behave the same, only one of the
running syslog processes will receive messages. Usually the one started
later will be the winner.

Under Solaris both syslog daemons might work simultaneously (as it uses
a STREAMS device which might be opened multiple times, AIX, Linux uses a
UNIX domain socket, HP-UX a pipe, all of which can only have a single
reader)