[syslog-ng] cisco router logs..

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Dec 27 00:12:21 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 12:55 +0530, Anant Athavale wrote:
> Dear List:
>
> I have configured my linux box to receive logs from cisco router over
> tcp.  The log entries are coming, but instead of a newline character,
> * (star) is getting inserted into the log.  So, log is becoming a
> single line output.
>
> Has anybody faced similar problem?  How to resolve this?

Can you please create a tcpdump of the traffic that contains enough
information?

Something like:

tcpdump -peni <interface> -s 0 -w aaa.dump port <syslog-ng port>

The result is in aaa.dump, you can check it out with something like
wireshark (or tcpdump -r), I would need the textual contents of a single
log entry as it traverses the network and arrives to syslog-ng.