[syslog-ng] Using syslog-ng as a relay inject unexpected data

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Dec 20 10:31:50 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 17:41 -0700, Allen Bettilyon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm doing some pretty basic syslog forwarding using syslog-ng 1.6.2.
>
> Essentially, I've got the following:
>
> destination remoteHost {
>       tcp("1.1.1.1 port 9999");
> };
>

> The forwarding is working correctly, however on the remote side all my
> log lines are prepended with a <number> tag.
>
> For example:   Some log line
> turns into:  <38>Some log line
>
> I've tried creating a custom template, but the <number> is always
> added to the log lines when the arrive at the remote host.
>
> Why is this happening and is there a way to turn it off?

you are seeing the priority value, but you can indeed turn it off using
a template:

destination d_dst { tcp("1.1.1.1" template("$DATE $HOST $MSG\n"); };

but as your configuration snippet is obviously not directly copy/pasted
from the configuration I cannot tell for sure why your template didn't
work.