[syslog-ng] Loss of messages: what is the limits ?

FILEUX arnaud roi_dla_gratte at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 12 13:40:04 CET 2007

Dear all,

I realized some bench tests in order to determine the
limits supported in tcp connection with a syslog-ng
(client/server mode) and what is the optimal
configuration (buffer size,etc..).

My setup is as follows:

2 syslog-ng (client A  - server B) on dedicated
servers with 8Go RAM and quadripro CPU.

Client A is configured as follow:

destination  to_serverB { tcp("x.x.x.x" port(1999));
};
destination  to_clientA {
file("/var/log/syslog-ng.log"); };

Server B:
destination all { file("/var/log/syslog-ng.log"); };

On the client A i have a a C program (named
stressyslog) who send send 10.000 to 500.000 messages
on 10 to 100 threads and the delay between sending is
1ms to 10 ms to Client A with :
syslog(LOG_NOTICE, "go %d pThread for %d messages and
%d ms", iThreads, iMessages, iDelay);

I make a diff between clientA and serverB and i lose
some lines on ServerB (delai less than 5ms and thread
greater than 50)

example:
delay: 2ms ;
messages: 50000;
thread 100;

Server B has 4947888 lines in syslog-ng.log
Client A has 5000087 lines in syslog-ng.log

Another problem is syslog-ng never alert if some line
are lost beteween Client A and Server  B.

I have tried to increase the buffer size (10.000 and
100.000) but the same problem.

If someone can help me i would be graceful.

arnaud