[syslog-ng] Patch for following non-existent logfiles is affecting syslog-ng.persist

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Mon Dec 10 18:11:45 CET 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> > - And could you write persist file more frequently during the syslog-ng run,
> > so the current file positions are not lost in case of machine crash or process
> > hard termination? (I know, this is not the easy part due to possible performance impact.)
>
> This is not very easy, the whole concept of storing things persistently
> accross restarts relies on configuration initialization heavily. So this
> is impossible in the current design.

I'm just thinking outloud here, but could the persist data be in the form
of a syslog stream so that syslog-ng could treat it as a destination. Then
all of the flush timeout settings apply, setings for where the destination
is stored etc. Filters could be used to filter some type of
internal message to this destination. This gives the user full control
over performance tradeoffs regarding "up to date" and performance, and
this would not require any redesign of the internals of syslog-ng.
The only "gotcha" is that the user would be responsible for specifying
a persistance source at startup that matches the persistence file
specified in the configuration. Perhaps a reserved word for a destination
that could be picked up during initialization.

Just my $0.02

Evan Rempel