[syslog-ng] syslog-ng unable to starts

Fri Aug 24 21:13:00 CEST 2007

Basically, I just installed syslog-ng on my server (server1) and I want this
server to be the main log server.

- Do I need to replace all the "destination" portion with "source" to allow
server1 to be the main log server? and other servers to forward their logs to
server1 with

destination loghost {
        tcp(server1.domain.com port(5140));
};

- Next, don't I need to open up port 5140 for syslog-ng?  which I did in
/etc/services (and rehup inetd) and configure it in my firewall but it seems
5140 is still not open...

$ telnet 127.0.0.1 5140
Trying 127.0.0.1...

My goal is to setup server1 to be the main log server, and other servers to
forward their logs onto server1.

Thanks.

-- Mike