[syslog-ng] Compatability with Windows?

K K kkadow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:57:07 CEST 2007

On 8/7/07, Burns Andrew <aburns at snyderdrug.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying out Syslog-NG, and it's been working well with Linux, but
> I've been asked to start monitoring the eventlog of Windows 2000 Servers and
> Windows 2003 Servers. Is there a plugin or can Syslog-NG read those eventlog
> entries natively if they are sent to the Syslog-NG server? Any suggestions
> or tips are appreciated.

What protocol and format are you using to send events from MS-Windows?

The syslog-ng listener accepts syslog packets, if you install a
program on Windows which can encapsulate eventlog entries into either
UDP or TCP formatted as syslog events, then syslog-ng will process
those log entries the same as it would any other syslog.

One such eventlog forwarder for Windows is "SNARE", see:
     http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/SnareWindows/index.html

Kevin