[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng appears to hang for local requests to log

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 6 01:56:37 CEST 2007

Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> I just joined the list after seeing in the archive the syslog-ng
> causing other proccesses to freeze
> I've seen the same issue in syslog-ng-2.0.2. I also usualy see some
> error about exciding the maximum number of open files for root. if i
> happen to be loged in to the box as root I've been able to fix it by
> restarting syslog-ng. if ive been loged in as my normal useri can
> usualy run a sudo lsof but when i count the number of open files its
> onwhere near the number set in /etc/secutiy/limits.conf. i also
> ocasionaly see this in the logs right before it happens
I'm now pretty sure that my problems are not related to file handles --
syslog-ng seems to have a builtin limit of 1024 open file handles  and
nev er goes over according to lsof.

I have just upgraded to 2.0.5 but another thing has just occurred to
me.  I have a destination fifo which is used intermittently.  Fifo has
an 8KB buffer and I just wondered what happens when this fills.  Do
writes from syslog-ng fail? If so does syslog-ng then try and buffer
output itself?  If so that would explain what we are seeing.

If the new version does not fix the issue I will try disabling the fifo
destination.

Russell.