[syslog-ng] Emailing log events

Darwin, Samuel darwins at thirteen.org
Fri Aug 3 19:16:14 CEST 2007

Hi,

Is there a good way to have syslog-ng email me when particular log
events occur?

I am running a very standard, default installation of CentOS 5.

Example:

I tried this sort of methodology, but it didn't work:

source net { udp(); };
destination emailer { program("mail myaddress at yahoo.com"); };
log { source(net); destination(emailer); };

In this case, I'd expect to be emailed a copy of every single message
received over udp.   However, what happens is that the program "mail
myaddress at yahoo.com" gets run and appears in the process table, but no
emails are sent.  The syslog log file shows dropped='program(mail
myaddress at yahoo.com)=0' , indicating something is being "dropped".

I think that I must be going about this the wrong way.    Maybe I can't
use syslog-ng to send emails?

Thanks,
Sam Darwin
Thirteen.org