[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng appears to hang for local requests to log

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Aug 1 05:08:58 CEST 2007

Hi Folks

We operate a central syslog server for several thousand system on a
linux box running syslog-ng 2.0rc3.  For some time we have noticed that
the machine hosting the service slowly locks up and we then have to
reset the power to restart it.  Recently we significantly increased the
load on the box and now this is happening about once a week.

Here are the symptoms we observer:

   1. service to systems sending logs to the host are not affected.
      Logs continue to get written to disk
   2. Cron jobs hang
   3. login attempts hang
   4. as do sudo attempts.
   5. ssh sessions that were established before things turned to custard
      are not affected
   6. top, sar etc.  don't show anything unusual
   7. ps shows hung cron jobs but nothing else unusual

We are guessing that syslog-ng is causing any local process that tries
to log to hang.  In particular login, sudo and cron all cause login
activity.  If the system is left it eventually runs out of swap and
processes.

What we will do is to establish an ssh session to root so next time
things come unstuck we can restart syslog-ng to see if that gets things
going again.

Any idea what is wrong or what we can do to diagnose the problem.

Russell