[syslog-ng] Re: question regarding program name logs

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Wed Sep 27 16:06:53 CEST 2006

Hi and thanks for the response.

This is actually relating to UDP logging.  I have devices sending Syslog
messages via UDP to a central Syslog-NG server.

Usually the devices log messages to Syslog-NG via UDP in bursts (about
20-25 message within a couple seconds).

The source, filter, destination, log statements for the handling are as
follows:

source src_udp {
  udp(
    ip(IPADDRESS)
    port(PORT)
  );
};

filter fltr_PROGRAM {
  program("PROGRAM") or match("PROGRAM");
};

destination dst_PROGRAM {
  file(
    "/var/log/PROGRAM/messages"
    owner(root)
    group(tomcat)
    perm(0640)
  );
};

log {
  source(src_udp); source(src_tcp);
  destination(dst_remote_system);
  flags(final, flow-control);
};

What ends up happening when a host falls into this flow, the first log
message is missed.  The format of the bursts of messages are exactly the
same.  This did not happen in 2.0rc2, I have downgraded and verified
this.

Let me know if there's any other info I can provide that would help out.

Regards,

Justin.