[syslog-ng] program() doesn't restart if it dies

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:58:28 CEST 2006

I have an email alert script written in python to send me security
alerts depending on criteria I have defined. I was working on something
else and wanted to clean up so I did a pkill -9 python without
remembering that I'm on the syslog server.

Of course this killed the alert script, which I noticed didn't restart
and syslog-ng kept running without it. So I tested it by creating a
condition to generate a log and therefore an alert and I didn't get the
email. Not very good.

Syslog-ng didn't restart the script defined in program() in
syslog-ng.conf, even when it had more input for it, which has gotten me
thinking, what happens if the script really dies or is accidentally
killed? Syslog-ng must have just dropped the output on the floor or
something.

The only way I can see to restart it is to restart syslog-ng itself.

What is the best way to make this more resilient?

I'm currently thinking a cron job to test for the python script and then
restart the server if it is not found.

Anybody got anything better?

-h

--