[syslog-ng] Problem compiling syslog-ng 1.6.8 on HP-UX

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Oct 25 11:00:22 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 19:03 -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, olivier "madmax"rolland wrote:
>
> > I Tried to compile syslog-ng 1.6.8 on HP-UX 11.11 and 11.23 but a lot of warning appeared:
> > ./configure --enable-full-dynamic
> > make
>
> >  gcc  -g -O -Wall -I/usr/local/include/libol -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC  -ldl
>

> ...you could try removing -Wall and manually re-run this cmd in the right
> build dir and see if it works as-is.
>
> Why don't you post your full config.log somewhere for us?

removing -Wall will only inhibit compiler errors, whereas these warnings
are linker warnings, more specifically they are errors, dunno why these
get reported as warnings.

The root of the problem is probably that my version of cfg-lex.c is used
(which is supplied in the distribution tarball), which is generated by
flex and not simple lex, and then later the lex shared object used used
to link syslog-ng.

You can probably either:
- remove cfg-lex.c, regenerate it using the system lexer
- or install flex (and libfl.so along with it) and make sure syslog-ng
is linked against that library (check your configure logs)

I think most of the people here use syslog-ng with flex (including me),
so using the system lex on your system might be a bit risky.