[syslog-ng] UI for editing syslog-ng configuration files

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Oct 20 16:35:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:55:49 EDT, John Svazic said:

> Not sure if this is the best forum to ask this question, but I'm not having
> any luck trolling through Google, Sourceforge and Freshmeat.  Does anyone
> know of any front-end UI (web or GUI) for editing a syslog-ng configuration
> file?  I'm looking for something simple for users who are not familiar with
> the config file format to take on.  Thanks!

The problem is that GUIs are good at doing syntax, not semantics.

Unfortunately, the syntax is simple enough that people should be able to
deal with it without much trouble.  It's the *semantics* that are a problem,
as anybody who reads this list would know - people asking for help with
syntax errors are fairly rare, but people wondering why the messages aren't
going where intended is a daily occurrence.

And a GUI can't help you there....