[syslog-ng] Weird ${HOST} values

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Nov 27 12:03:28 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 21:04 +0100, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just experienced some weird behaviour regarding the resolution
> of the ${HOST} variable/macro. There seems to be a difference
> whether the remote log client runs sysklogd or syslog-ng.

I have to admint that I didn't really try to understand your scenarios,
but isn't it possible that syslog-ng includes a hostname in the message
while sysklogd doesn't?

When there's no hostname in the incoming message, syslog-ng adds one,
even if keep_hostname() was specified.

Check the incoming message stream with tcpdump/strace.