[syslog-ng] Advice on keeping hostnames/using dns

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 13 13:37:57 CET 2006

Hi,

I'd like some advice on what I should do on my logserver regarding
hostnames.

I've currently got

keep_hostnames(no)
use_dns(yes)

in order to get accurate and consistent hostnames but I'd like to
consider just skipping the whole dns check rewriting thing and use

keep_hostnames(yes)
use_dns(no)

The only issue I can see from this is that the hostname gets logged
according to the packet. I'm reasonably confident that most machines
will report the right name in their logs to the logserver but I also
think that it makes it all too possible to screw up the logserver
maliciously since any old junk that is sent to the port is put into the
logs so you could hammer the integrity of the logs just by sending loads
of bogus logs from a machine with the name set to that of any other
machine on the network.

Got any views on this?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks