[syslog-ng] syslog-ng droping events

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Fri Nov 10 10:24:21 CET 2006

Hi,

Arya, Manish Kumar <m.arya at yahoo.com> [20061110 01:11:54 -0800]:

> Hi,
>
>    I have 3 syslog listeners (solaris 10 ) collecting
> log events from about 20,000 devices and fwding them
> on a central syslog box (solaris 10, 16 gb RAM and 3TB
> SAN storage) . the central syslog box stores them in
> oracle db and on filesystem.
>
>    I notice that events from many devices are being
> droped on central syslog box.
>    I thought it might be because of udp protocol, but
> even after enabling tcp its droping events. I can see
> that events come on listeners boxes (I created temp
> file logs there)
>
> please tell me what could be missing.

Munching through the mailing list archives ;)

https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2006-May/008836.html

Sounds like, what DB monkeys call, 'SQL Exhaustion' or something.  You SQL
database is slowing up the whole process...mainly as SQL is not suitable for
*live* realtime processing, thats my opinion though.

Cheers

Alex