[syslog-ng] Compiling 1.9.11 on Solaris 9

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri May 26 22:43:34 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 14:44 -0500, Albert Chin wrote:

> Why not just use IPPROTO_IP and IPPROTO_IPV6? SOL_IP is
> Linux-specific. HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, IRIX, and Tru64 UNIX don't have
> it. However, all have IPPROTO_IP and possibly IPPROTO_IPV6.

As I see those are at least partially broken. setsockopt() is defined to
use a 'level' argument, and there's a protocol independent level, which
is called SOL_SOCKET, this macro is defined on those platforms as well.

I don't think it is consistent to use SOL_SOCKET for socket level
operations, and IPPROTO_* for non-socket operations.

Not to mention that IPPROTO_IPV6 as a name suggests the IPv6 is a
subprotocol of IP itself, which is IPv4. This is certainly not true.

Linux supports the IPX protocol through the same socket interface, in
this case I would use SOL_IPX

So as I see those are the platforms that lack proper naming for the
setsockopt level argument. :)