[syslog-ng] Facility / Priority

Jeremy M. Guthrie jeremy.guthrie at berbee.com
Tue May 23 03:11:49 CEST 2006

'lo

	I am the main author of a GPL packaged called Syslog Management Tool(SMT) -
smt.dangermen.com.  I am currently using Modular Syslog as the syslog package
to import from syslog to PostgreSQL.  I have found it has issues with about
anymore than 70 messages per second.  Modular Syslog also looks largely
abandoned.  Syslog-ng appears to be able to replace the functionality Modular
Syslog via the use of pipes.

	The issue I have found with Syslog-NG is that it does convert the facility &
priority/severity to full names when writing.  Today I have Modular Syslog
writing facility and severity as individual decimal values rather than the
aggregate 0-255 decimal(see the table layout below).  I was wondering if
someone knew of a way to get Syslog-NG to write out the facility/priority
values separately?  .ie via the syslog-ng.conf filtering/manipulation kung
fu?  Or does this look like a modification that I will have to make in the .c
code?

TSyslog=# \d tsyslog
                                        Table "public.tsyslog"
   Column   |          Type          |                            Modifiers
------------+------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------
 tsyslog_id | bigint                 | not null default
nextval('public.tsyslog_tsyslog_id_seq'::text)
 facility   | integer                |
 severity   | integer                |
 date       | date                   |
 time       | time without time zone |
 host       | character varying(128) |
 message    | text                   |
    "tsyslog_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (tsyslog_id)
    "host_idx" btree (host)
    "tsyslhostid_idx" btree (tsyslog_id, host)
    "tsyslogdatetime_idx" btree (date, "time")

Jeremy M. Guthrie        jeremy.guthrie at berbee.com
Senior Network Engineer        Phone: 608-298-1061
Berbee                           Fax: 608-288-3007
5520 Research Park Drive         NOC: 608-298-1102
Madison, WI 53711