[syslog-ng] syslog-ng stalls system

Tony Davis Tony.Davis at voca.com
Thu May 18 12:33:31 CEST 2006

> Hi
>
> I've ran into serious problems yesterday with my Debian server and
> finally was able to nail down the problem to syslog-ng and/or the
> logging subsystem (or whatever it is called). I first noticed troubles

> after I did a apt-get install, which hang while installing ssl-cert
due
> to a failure to create a group (connected to the symptoms mentioned
> below).
>
> Symptoms:
> - a growing number of unterminated /USR/SBIN/CRON processes (strace:
> "connect(7, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/dev/log"}, 16")
> - unable to 'su <user>' (Ctrl-C to return to shell)
> - unable to establish a ssh connection (terminal hangs after entering
> password, sshd <defunct> in processes)
> - unable to login physically at the server itself ("You have new
mail",
> but no command line, Ctrl-C to return to the login screen)
> - when logged in prior the failures, either 'shutdown' nor 'reboot'
> have any effect (system must be shut down by /etc/init.d/reboot stop)
> - no new entries in /var/log/cron.log or /var/log/syslog
>
> Temporary Cure:
> - reboot and prevent syslog-ng from starting at boot
>
> Sidenotes:
> - All other services work as expected
>
> I've got to know Linux in recent years, but it seems I'm not capable
of
> solving such a difficult issue by myself. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you very much!
> Kind regards
> Mario

Hi Mario,

I reported the exact same problem back on the 5th May but, so far, I
haven't found a resolution. This was running syslog-ng version 1-6-10-1
on RedHat EL 3 using the RedHat conf file in the contribs directory
bundled with the source.

Tony

    You can find us at www.voca.com

This communication is confidential and intended for
the exclusive use of the addressee only. You should
not disclose its contents to any other person.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify
the sender named above immediately.

Registered in England, No 1023742,
Registered Office: Voca Limited
Drake House, Three Rivers Court,
Homestead Road, Rickmansworth,
Hertfordshire, WD3 1FX

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.