[syslog-ng] syslog-ng + database performance

Roberto Nibali ratz at drugphish.ch
Wed May 17 21:21:34 CEST 2006

Hello,

>     I have seen that most of the UIs are avialable
> with databases.
>     I have syslog-ng+oracle setup too. but I am not
> happy with performance.

Any numbers, performance figures?

>     we have a central log server with 3000G SAN and 15
> GB RAM. and 20,000 devices are suppose to pump logs
> 24x7 :)

What's your expected/measured:

o rate of arrival avg/peak in lines/s and socket connections/s
o data volume/s

of this central log server?

What kind of hardware/OS/Oracle version and Configuration are you
running this central log server with?

>     with oracle we faced two serious issues, thats why
> i also started pumping logs in files along with db.

It's almost always faster to write log files to flat files.

> -inserts, i have using named pipe to insert logs in
> db, but oracle somehow drops inserts, becuase "rate of
> arival of events" is much larger than "rate of insert
> operations". I have noticed that there is about 80-90%
> event drops in db.

Parallel Inserts or one single pipe? Do you purge old data from your DB
and if so, in which interval?

> -select, when we search logs, it was really really bad
> performance it took too long to give results. but then
> we did indexing on hostname and partitioned table on
> time (new range partition is created after every 6
> hrs)
> This improved system performance to some extent.

What's your time frame expectation regarding your select statements?

> can you guys suggest me if mysql or postgre will be
> better to overcome above to problems (but remember our
> db is huge :), so I am not sure if mysql or postgre is
> able to handle such big db)

Cheers,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo
'[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc