[syslog-ng] Help: Cannot open file for writing (Permission denied)

Muath Al Khalaf muath at elm.com.sa
Mon May 15 14:09:35 CEST 2006

Hi,
I have just installed syslog-ng on Redhat enterprise 4.
I am using it as remote logging server for a syslog-ng client.
Here is my remote logging configuration:

source s_remote {
        tcp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
        udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
};

destination d_separatedbyhosts {
        file("/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/messages" owner("root")
group("root") perm(0640) dir_perm(0750) create_dirs(yes));
};

log { source(s_remote); destination(d_separatedbyhosts); };

I am getting the following error message in  /var/log/syslog-ng.log on
the same machine using tail

"cannot open file /var/log/syslog-ng/host1messages for writing
(Permission denied)"

I have tried to create the file myself and give it 777 permission along
with all the directories /var, /var/log, /var/log/syslog-ng

If you notice here,
1-       syslog-ng is writing error messages from the same machine to
/var/log/syslog-ng which means syslog-ng is working well for local
logging on the same machine ( I have stopped syslogd).
2-       The error has a file name "host1messages" while in the
configuration file it is "/$HOST/messages"
3-       I am accessing the syslog-ng server using remote SSH from
windows using putty client. When I open the /var/log/syslog-ng.log file
using "vi" I got a strange character instead of "/" in the previous
error message between "host1" and "messages". While - as you have seen
above - using tail I do not get any character neither / nor the strange
one in the syslog-ng file.

Kind regards