[syslog-ng] Newbie Looking for Help

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Fri May 12 02:12:35 CEST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 06:54:16PM -0400, Mark R. White wrote:

> I want to setup a syslog-ng server to do syslogging for my network.  So far
> it's easy, the part I'm having trouble with, and I'm not even sure if it's
> possible, is I want to log by device to it's own individual syslog file.
> Hence the reason for using syslog-ng vice sysklogd, I think the syntax would
> be something as follows, but I could be way off base.

Use something like this:

 http://www.campin.net/newlogcheck.html#syslog-ng

> I also don't understand where to define the facilities as I did in standard
> syslog.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  One other quick question,
> when I do a default install of syslog-ng (on Debian Etch), it automatically
> logs to the tty.  Is this correct for all versions, and whether it is or
> it's not, how do I stop it?

Comment out the sources and destinations that mention console or tty
(names like xconsole and du_all I think). I get dropped messages stats
lines when I keep that default debian console/tty stuff enabled.

Not logging to consoles or tty's speeds things up, see:

 http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html#perf

--
Nate

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you
please." - Samuel Clemens