[syslog-ng] syslog-ng GUI

Jon Stearley jrstear at sandia.gov
Thu May 11 17:49:55 CEST 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 6:51 AM, Arya, Manish Kumar wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
>    I am storing logs on a central server having 3T
> SAN,
> using follwing template
>
> destination indexlog {
>
> file("/logs/log01/indexlog/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$HOST"
>
> template("$HOUR:$MIN:$SEC,$PROGRAM,$FACILITY,$PRIORITY,$MSGONLY\n")
>         template-escape(yes)
>         owner(root) group(root) perm(0644)
> dir_perm(0755) create_dirs(yes));
> };
>
> my logging is done perfectly :)
>
> like /logs/log01/indexlog/2006/05/11/hostnames
>
> I want to have a GUI to view logs with following
> facilities
>
> -search logs on basis on date/time, text patterns in
> messages,hostnames.

http://www.cs.sandia.gov/sisyphus/ mines patterns, but does not have
a production GUI (yet).  It is more of a research tool at this point,
but I would be happy to help you give it a try.  Recent emphasis has
been on the functionality described in .../detection.pdf.  Please let
me know if interested, like I said I'd be happy to help, and am in
fact looking for additional datasets to analyze; I find my approach
to be effective for supercomputer logs, but have not yet explored its
effectiveness for other log sets (eg enterprise).  I've been waiting
to implement a production GUI until I am confident that the
underlying functionality is general and excellent.  My current
leaning is towards adding sisyphus functionality to splunk's
interface (and have contacted splunk about this).

G'day!

| Jon Stearley                  (505) 845-7571  (FAX 844-9297) |
| Sandia National Laboratories  Scalable Systems Integration   |