[syslog-ng] Problem logging messages from console server

Berthold Cogel cogel at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Thu May 4 16:10:05 CEST 2006

Hello!

I've build our loghost with syslog-ng 1.6.9 on a RHEL 3 system with
destinations which include the hostnames:

destination d_mesg { file ("/var/local/logmaster/$HOST/messages"); };

Global options are:

check_hostname (yes);
keep_hostname (yes);
use_dns (yes);
dns_cache (yes);
use_fqdn (yes);
chain_hostnames (no);
create_dirs (yes);

This works as expected for all hosts, except one.

Our console server (Digi CM 32) sends lines like

LOCAL1.NOTICE: May  4 09:53:17 Data Buffering: ...

This gets logged by syslog-ng as 'May  4 09:53:17 Data Buffering: ... '
for a host 'Data'.

With the syslog, that comes with RHEL 3, I get log entrys like 'May  4
09:53:17 digi-cm32 Data Buffering: ... '.

To me this doesn't look like a DNS problem. The log format of the
console server looks similar to the format I get when I transfer the log
entrys via a second syslog-ng:

I've run out of ideas at the moment. Any help is welcome.

Regards
Berthold Cogel