[syslog-ng] syslog-ng hanging?

Tony Davis Tony.Davis at voca.com
Tue May 2 11:38:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

I recently converted our RedHat EL servers (Release 3 Update 6) form the
sysklog package to syslog-ng. On some of the servers syslog-ng appears
to be occasionally hanging, i.e. messages stop getting written to the
various log files. This also has a knock on effect of stopping logins,
cron jobs hanging, etc, presumably because they are waiting to write to
a log file. I read in the archives that this can be caused by something
else using /dev/log but there's no other syslogd or minilogd processes
running and lsof gives the following:

COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
syslog-ng 1384 root    5u  unix 0xf778c880      1703 /dev/log
syslog-ng 1384 root    6u  unix 0xf777e8c0      1715 /dev/log

I'm using the RedHat conf file bundled in the contribs directory that
comes with the source code.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Tony

    You can find us at www.voca.com

This communication is confidential and intended for
the exclusive use of the addressee only. You should
not disclose its contents to any other person.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify
the sender named above immediately.

Registered in England, No 1023742,
Registered Office: Voca Limited
Drake House, Three Rivers Court,
Homestead Road, Rickmansworth,
Hertfordshire, WD3 1FX

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.