[syslog-ng] Creating a named pipe (FIFO)

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Wed Mar 29 21:46:32 CEST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 03:35:07PM +0100, H?LTZL P?ter wrote:
> Hi Timothy,
>
> Insted of putting mkfifo into the syslog-ng.conf, add the command
> 'mkfifo /var/syslog-ng/syslog_fifo' from a command prompt when you are
> root.

I never feed off to named pipes, but if I did I'd pipe to a program
destination that made sure the pipe exists (creates it if it doesn't
already) and feeds the data into the pipe for me. Granted this
introduces some complication, but your pipe should always be there.

I might be overlooking something basic (I've enver actually tried this
approach), but it certainly seems better than hoping the pipe exists via
some out-of-band mechanism.
--
Nate

"We Americans... bear the ark of liberties of the world." - Samuel Clemens