[syslog-ng] Creating a named pipe (FIFO)

William Bell williamb at cwie.net
Fri Mar 24 01:22:33 CET 2006

As a feature request / bonus to this conversation, has any investigation
been done into adding create fifo ability to the pipe source driver. Im sure
that everyone could benefit from pipes that are created and torn down by
syslog-ng so that unless syslog-ng is holding the pipe open and holding
ownership of the pipe the pipe does not exist. This would be an extra added
bonus on the security front. Its an ok fix to have the pipe created by the
startup script and even torn down by that same script, however if for some
reason syslog-ng crashes or an administrator thinks it's a good idea to just
kill off the process that pipe hangs around and is a potential security
risk.

Its just an idea. Maybe someone can run with it.

William Bell II
CWIE Security