[syslog-ng] starting syslog with unreachable loghost

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Mar 22 17:51:58 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:14:36 +0100, Balazs Scheidler said:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 13:53 +0100, luksedj luksedj wrote:
> > I have two destinations for my logs, one is on the local disk, the other is
> > a host in the network. It seems that when the host is not available
> > syslog-ng won't start, although it should better start logging to the local
> > disk.
> >
> > What happens when the remote host connection gets broken while syslog-ng is
> > running?
>
> Hm.. syslog-ng should behave exactly what you described, e.g. it should
> start up and continue connecting to the remote host.

Does this act differently for TCP and UDP?  If you're sending UDP, it's
basically a fire-and-forget, but for TCP you have to get through the 3-packet
handshake, which will die a miserable death if you start up syslog before
the network interfaces are started.....

(Alternatively, if it just gives up on the TCP and carries on, what's the
recommended way of getting it to re-try the connect()?  Hopefully it doesn't
try to connect each time there's a new message - this could cause some massive
delays and DoS if the network is down, resulting in a hung box....