[syslog-ng] Creating a named pipe (FIFO)

Michael Clark mclark at adapt2.com
Wed Mar 22 17:35:31 CET 2006

Timothy,

Technically, it's not a "file" but a named pipe.  That means it doesn't take
up space on the disk.  It's a stream that allows you to connect to and read
information that is being presented on it.  Once you have the
/var/syslog-ng/syslog_fifo named pipe created, you can refer to it by name
in the configuration files.  I've never used a named pipe in syslog-ng (I
have in other programs), so I don't know if you use the same command that
you would to reference a file name.  In the Micromuse Syslog Probe, you have
to use a different parameter name to specify a named pipe than you would for
a file.

Check the syslog-ng docs to see what the command would be to specify a named
pipe.  It's possible it's the same command.