[syslog-ng] sylog-ng hangs after upgrade to 1.9.9

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Mar 16 11:13:32 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 10:30 +0100, Cristian Livadaru wrote:

> >> same for me Debian unstable
> >> I can't risc to put back the 1.9.9 version I can just hope it is
> >> reproduceable on my testserver which has been upgraded today.
> >> I only have a strace of mailq which then hangs while trying to
> >> access /dev/log
> >> want me to send this? else if the error occours on the testserver I can
> >> do watever trace or test you need.
> >
> > The strace on mailq is useless, I would need the info on syslog-ng
> > itself.
> >
> > Your testing is greatly appreciated.
> >

> I will keep an eye on my testsystem if this happenes there.
> if not maybee I will install on a weekend where there is not much going
> on  on the production system the version 1.9.9 again and I can try to
> test it.
> just give some information on what you need and how I could obtain it.

* an lsof -p <syslog-ng pid>, strace of the hanged process should be
enough,

* enabling debug symbols, attaching to the process using gdb (gdb -p
<pid>) and doing a backtrace (bt command in gdb) would be better,

* enabling core dumps before starting syslog-ng, sending a SIGQUIT to
it, and sending me the binaries and the core files would be ideal