[syslog-ng] Profiling syslog-ng

John Morrissey jwm at horde.net
Tue Mar 14 22:07:14 CET 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:19:52AM +0100, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> The latest 1.9.x snapshot already has this behaviour, although I'd
> understand you hesitate going from 1.6.x -> 1.9.x in a sudden move.
>
> What about the following (compile-tested) patch:

This looks good and is working well - thanks!

One more thing I've noticed: syslog-ng is making huge numbers of time(2)
calls. Our hub is calling time() 14-18,000 times/second(!) at peak. Is there
a way to optimize this away, or is 1.9.x more frugal in calling it?

I'm thinking a global time_t might be useful, with periodic updates
triggered by a timer every n msec. I'm not sure what guarantees are provided
for timers, though, especially under heavy load. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help.

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o