[syslog-ng] DOMAIN Name Variable

Alexi Papaleonardos alexi.papaleonardos at hypermediasystems.com
Tue Mar 14 18:51:27 CET 2006

David Anderson wrote:
> That doesn't work, as many domains outside of the US have a 3-part
> domain, as in xyz.co.uk.

While we're on the subject, I think a great feature would be the ability
to encode & transmit the originator's full domain name _as it thinks it
is_ (such as the output of "hostname -f" on linux), or its primary IP
address.  We have many hosts that transmit their logs through stunnel to
our central syslog-ng servers, so naturally their IP addresses are not
available for reverse lookups.  Unfortunately, many of these hosts have
the same hostname, but different domain names--so their logs are
indistinguishable.

This might be quicker to implement than built-in SSL.
Thanks,
Alexi

--
Respectfully,