[syslog-ng] SOLVED: Remote hosts logging as loopback, not hostname

Rob Munsch rmunsch at solutionsforprogress.com
Mon Mar 13 23:26:51 CET 2006

oh SON of a SWITCH.

So of course, i should not be stuffing clients' info into the same
template twice.  Doesn't seem to like that.  I assumed they'd have to
match, for some reason.

Removing the template() line from the client has allowed the info to
appear as one would expect.  Templates on client and server processes it
twice and it doesn't like it a little bit.

may i humbly suggest that a note about template() being advisably
*server-only* in such an environment might be in order.    of course,
that may be  obvious to most people without having to be told; i can't
tell.
this would be the second "note to, for and by idiots" addition on nate's
faq to come from my addled brain.

i'm going to go get some coffee.

Rob Munsch wrote:

> a lot of pointless detailed crap
>

> Nathan Campi wrote:
>
>> Rob,
>>
>> This is covered in the faq - it's even called something like "using
>> stunnel, all hosts are logged as localhost". Use this:
>>
>>  options{ keep_hostname(yes); };
>> --
>> Nate Campi

Rob Munsch