[syslog-ng] Regex subpattern macros [1.9.9]

Vincent Haverlant vincent at haverlant.org
Wed Mar 8 17:26:23 CET 2006

Le Tue Mar  7 18:18:08 2006, Mel Collins a écrit:
|  Hi,
|  I'm using syslog-ng's match filter to extract parts of messages for use in
| parts of the destination; specifically in the log file name and template
| sections.
|  The messages sent to syslog-ng for this purpose are all of the format:
| "<filename> <message>" (plus whatever sl-ng prepends).
|
|  .conf extract:
| filter f_logsplitter { match ("^.*?: ([^ ]*) (.*)$"); };
| destination d_logfiles {
| 	file ("/our/logs/$1"
| 		template ("$2\n")
| etc.
|
|  Eg. For the message "root: foo/bar.log some text", the log
| file /our/logs/foo/bar.log gets "some text" appended to it.
|
|  Now this seems to work fine for low traffic, but if I send 10k messages in a
| tight loop - either locally or remotely via TCP - $2 contains the wrong
| string for many/most of them, eg:
| 07/03/2006 16:56:34 SEEK #3
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #3
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #3
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #7
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #7
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #7
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #7
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #8
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #11
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #11
| 07/03/2006 16:56:35 SEEK #11
|  ...where the #number should be consecutive.
|  If I use $MSGONLY, or such, the correct message line is used.
|
|  It seems to me like the subpattern macros - $1, $2, etc - aren't maintained
| on a per-message basis, but are global..?
|  Given that they aren't documented (that I can find), are the presence of $1,
| etc. an unintended side-effect of using a regex? Am I doing something I
| shouldn't by using them?
|  Or did I find me a bug? ;o)

In fact It looks like the same problem I raised about syslog-ng missing
messages. I have the exact same probleme except that I am not using
pattern matching....

Vincent.
--
   .~.     Vincent Haverlant  -- Galadril -- #ICQ: 35695155
   /V\      MSN: vincent_msn at haverlant.org  -- http://www.haverlant.org/