[syslog-ng] rotating logs at 12:00 noon

Navin Jathan Navin.Jathan at adventity.com
Tue Mar 7 08:20:17 CET 2006

Hi,

I am new to syslog-ng. I am not a programmer, but configuration of
syslog-ng feels like I programming something!!! Wish I could get over
this soon!!

Apart from normal logging operation, I use syslog-ng to log PIX firewall
logs from the network. Following is the configuration file:

<..snip..>

filter f_11 {

        facility(local0) and level(debug..emerg);

};

destination d_8 {

        file("/var/log/pix/SyslogCatchAll-$DAY-$MONTH-$YEAR.log"
create_dirs(yes));

};

log { source(local); filter(f_11); destination(d_8); };

<../snip..>

This would typically rotate the logs at 12:00 at midnight daily.

But I need to rotate the logs at 12:00 noon daily. Is it possible to
configure syslog-ng in this manner? How do I do it?

I had unsuccessfully tried to use logrotate with the native syslog
utility in Linux. Do I have to use logrotate here again?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Navin Jathan.

Disclaimer: Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to Adventity and/ or its Customers, intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at postmaster at adventity.com and delete this mail from your records.