[syslog-ng] Circular File Output

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jun 29 23:12:12 CEST 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:46:01 EDT, Kenneth Kassing said:

> I am using syslog-ng on an embedded Linux device with a limited amount
> of resources.  To this end, I must maintain very small log files.  I
> have looked into log rotation, but do not wish to take the crond /
> logrotate approach.

Logrotate is a 43K binary on my Fedora Core box.  I'm not sure you're
going to have an easy time keeping the bloat in adding it natively to
syslog-ng to be much smaller (since you'll have to add in all the support
for config files that logrotate has into syslog-ng's parser, etc).

Or even cheaper - have syslog-ng log to /var/log/$MON/$DAY or similar
(doesn't matter what, as long as it's different per-day), and then just
have cron run a 'find /var/log -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm {};').  Hard to
get much more lightweight than that if you have 'find' onboard already
(though it's 156K, so logrotate is a better idea if you have to add a binary).

I'm thinking it's also a non-starter on the maintenance end, as it will
be a big patch you'll be dragging from version to version, if Balazs isn't
interested in putting it in the base release....