[syslog-ng] Steps install syslog, syslogng

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jun 2 03:51:08 CEST 2006

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 18:36:44 PDT, Luong Xuan Thang said:
>   - We are discussion install syslog, syslogng (php, mysql) on the linux 9 system

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Linux 9", as the linux kernel itself is
currently at 2.6.16.  Most likely, you mean "release 9 of a linux
*distribution*", and the most likely you mean 'RedHat 9'.  If so, there's a
very important "step zero".

Step 0:  *Do* *not* *use* RedHat 9.0.  Consider using RedHat Enterprise Linux
4.0 (if you want a support contract), CentOS (a whiteboxed RHEL, no support, no
cost)m or Fedora Core 5.  RedHat 9.0 has not been supported by RedHat for quite
some time, and has multiple *known* security holes that have no patches.

Step 1: RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora all include recent, patched versions of php
and mysql.  Use the provided versions rather than trying to build your own.