[syslog-ng] Hi Every Body

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 21:38:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

Sorry but this is not the greatest of support requests....

Nasir, Meraz <MNasir at INTERFAITHMEDICAL.com> [20060726 15:22:31 -0400]:

> Hi
>
> Bellow is my Environment:
>
> * Host: Linux version 2.6.9-5.ELsmp (bhcompile at decompose.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.4.3 20041212 (Red Hat 3.4.3-9.EL4)) #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 19:30:39 EST 2005

usually not relevant

> *	mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.7, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)
> *	httpd-2.2.0
> *	php-5.1.2

Not syslog's fault, unless you plan on dumping all your logs to an SQL
database, but really it could be any database in practise.

> *	syslog-ng-1.6.9.orig

Useful bit.

> My Issue:
>
> I am not able to re-write UPS's name,

to me an "UPS's" is a uninterruptable power supply....is that what you mean.  As
you don't put it in any context (why don't you get it to advertise a
different name?) its hard to tell what you are doing.

Usually when confronted by a support request with no detail I ask the four
magic questions that seem applicable to *any* fault:

1. what is it you are actually trying to do?
2. how are you trying to go about doing it?
3. what are you expecting to happen?
4. what is actually happening?

We all need details, examples, configuration extracts, errors being quoted.
Whats going into syslog-ng and whats coming out?  Explain why your "UPS's"
are fixed with their name.

We all would love to help but, I at least, don't have the foggiest of an idea
in regards to what you are talking about.

What little I can extract I think what you could use is the template()
system and strap it to some rDNS lookups cached locally with a lightweight
DNS server on the local machine.  Of course I need to know what it is you are
trying to do :(

Cheers

Alex

> If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
> all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
> notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
> distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the
> intended recipient. Interfaith Medical Center and any of its
> subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications
> through its networks.
> This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
> information.  o Confidentiality is waved or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
> message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of
> it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, orint, or copy any
> part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Interfaith Medical Center and any of its subsidiaries
> each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

does this really need to be this long?  Why can't people have "disclaimer at
http://example.com/legal-mumble-jumble.html"? </rant>