[syslog-ng] Logrotate Questions And Solicitation For Ideas...

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jul 19 21:52:01 CEST 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:34:25 -0000, Vadim Pushkin said:

> The problem that I am having is rotating under syslog-ng, *NOT* MySql.  Can
> anyone please provide me with a good method for rotating logs, where my logs
> are kept under various subdirs, depending on source address?

What I do is something along the lines of:

1) destination foo { file("/var/logs/whatever/messages-$MONTH$DAY"); };

so syslog-ng creates a seperate output file for each day.

2) A cronjob that then does 'find /var/logs/whatever -mtime +30 -exec rm {}\;'
is all that's needed to clean up.  Add salt, pepper, and documentation to taste.