[syslog-ng] Logrotate Questions And Solicitation For Ideas...

Vadim Pushkin wiskbroom at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:34:25 CEST 2006

Hello All;

I've got a syslog-1.6.9 server running quite well with phpsyslog-ng.  I am
trying to rotate my logs and maintain just 14 days worth of logs within my
MySql DB, an issue that I am having and will hopefully get fixed within the
phpSyslog-NG group.  With regards to flat file logs, the issue that I am
writing here for, I wish to have 30 days worth of data within my log files
(flat files under /var/log).

The problem that I am having is rotating under syslog-ng, *NOT* MySql.  Can
anyone please provide me with a good method for rotating logs, where my logs
are kept under various subdirs, depending on source address?

Attached is my syslog-ng.conf, in case anyone cares to read it to determine
what my dir-layouts are, also I am looking for help on why some of my source
hosts are getting into two locations, I am sure that it is bacause of the
"filter" rules in my config.  Does the below make sense?

# Trying to make all hosts that start with sw or contain sw1, or sw2,
# get placed where filter F_switch should go.
filter F_switch      { host("sw*") or host("sw1") or host("sw2"); };

# Trying to place logs for all hosts that start with fw to go to where
filter F_firewall should go.
filter F_firewall    { host("^fw*"); };

Please, I am sorry for this question if it is in the FAQ, I am having
problem finding this info.

Thank you all!

.vp