[syslog-ng] Re: Logging to program destinations has odd prefix?

John Caruso jcsyslog at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 15 20:48:32 CEST 2006

On Saturday 08:53 AM 7/15/2006, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>2) changing the way it currently works would break systems that already
>rely on this behaviour. I don't want to break their systems.

Sure.  I was just offering an opinion, but keeping legacy behavior makes
sense.

I'd suggest that it would be good to document this behavior of program()
destinations prominently in the reference manual, though.  The current
documentation not only doesn't mention it (that I can see), but even
implies that the <X> is *not* coming from syslog-ng; e.g. in the 1.6 docs
for the template() option of program() it says that the default is "a
format conforming to the default logfile format," but the default logfile
format doesn't include the <X>.  That's exactly why I initially thought it
might be a bug in my Perl script....

- John